Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Singleness

John 4:10"Jesus answered her, "If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and He would have given you living water......13 Jesus answered, Everyone who drinks of this water will be thirsty again, 14 but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him the spring of living water welling up to eternal life."....17 I have no husband , she replied. Jesus said to her, "You are right when you say you have no husband.  The fact is, you have had five husbands, and the man you now have is not your husband. What you have said is quite true."    I love this account of the woman at the well.    It makes me think of my own fantasy that if I had a husband my life could be better.   I grew up with the fairy tales of Cinderella and the like.  My mom strongly wanted for us girls to have good husbands.  So I tend to hold the fantasy that if I had one life would be better.    I have a great life.  Yet, I hope longingly for a mate.    It's a thorn in my side.  When I do this I'm not letting God fill me with His living water.   If I try to get quenched from anything other than the love of Jesus.  I thirst again. Personally, I have already had two husbands and in my youth many" boy friends" none of which could fill me.  (It’s not an other persons job to “fill” another person). Many of my single friends have the same fantasy, about being married.    Truth is only His living water completely fills our souls.   It takes two whole people in Jesus to make a successful Christian marriage.  Two broken people coming together trying to complete each other without Jesus rarely works. what well are you drinking from?  Are you being filled with His living water?

No comments:

Post a Comment