Friday, February 3, 2023

True repentance shows

Mathew 3:8 "Produce fruit in keeping with repentance."  When I first quit drinking my boys said, "yeah, whatever mom". They didn't believe I would stay quit. They didn't believe me when I said, “sorry”.  I had apologized hundreds of times, yet still repeated the same behavior.  They couldn't trust me.  If they did, I would hurt them again.  Trusting me hurt their hearts so very very much.  They thought I loved drinking more than I loved them.  That is what my behavior showed.  Truth is I didn't love drinking I was enslaved by it.  When you're not an alcoholic it's hard to understand why the person just doesn't quit.   It's that way with any addiction the addiction seems ridiculous to the people watching.  But for the addict it's all consuming.  Sincere repentance came when I turned from my addiction and turned to Jesus.   I showed my repentance by not repeating the behavior.  It has taken years, not days, not months but years for my family to trust me.  I still struggle with some behaviors I thought would go away when I quit drinking but praise the Lord I'm able to stay clean and my children trust I will do my absolute best to do what I say I will do.   Matthew 3:8 "Produce fruit in keeping with repentance."

No comments:

Post a Comment