Thursday, January 19, 2023

Take the narrow gate for wide resaults

Matthew 7:13 "Enter through the narrow gate.  For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it.  14 but small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."    

Wide is the gate that leads to destruction.  

I spent 29 years trying to quit drinking only to relapse over and over again.   Praise the Lord, I have spent the last 18 sober.    Wide is the gate that leads to destruction.    During my relapse. I kept looking for an easier softer way to manage my drinking.    The problem is my drinking always managed me.  I was enslaved to it and couldn't imagine surviving without it.    It was my go to.  

I finally hit a new low that made me realize, I had to quit.  I got a second drunk driving ticket and my kids were in the car.  I thought I was getting away with my drinking tell that point.  I knew that if I didn't quit drinking I would drive drunk again.  So, I entered a treatment program and did everything they told me to do, their way,not mine was hard for me.  After step 5, I remembered Jesus.  I called upon Him to help and He showed up.   I was given a fresh start and I knew I never wanted to forget that I was deeply loved, forgiven and had a purpose.  I knew that if I ever picked up again, I would forget Jesus  and be a slave to the booze once again.   AA is a great program.  I need it.   But for me AA alone didn't keep me clean.   I needed the guidance of the AA program in combination with Jesus.   Matthew 28:20 "Lo, I am with you always even to the end of the age." ( these are the words of Jesus).  Recovery programs without Jesus remind me of the wide road.  I think remember a statistic that 90% of people that use AA alone go back to drinking, but 70% of people that have Christ based recovery program will stay clean.    Unfortunately, people would rather try to conquer this deserve on their own.    What ever your battle is be inspired to take the narrow road, let Jesus take your hand and walk with you.   Let Him be your shelter in the storm.  

No comments:

Post a Comment