Friday, September 28, 2018

Fit Bit ( If it makes you happy?)

Fit Bit  (If it makes you happy?)

Currently I am up at the Lake house.  I get to spend time here do to the generosity of a dear friend (he bought our family cabin).  I grew up here.  I love it here.  I love the memories I have here.  I miss the activity that used to be here.  I miss the family that used to be here.  It’s cold here today and my friends have all left for the season. I feel a bit empty.   The song that keeps coming to my mind is, “If It Makes You Happy” by Cheryl Crow. 

A long time ago, one of my friends was going through counseling. His counselor asked him if he was happy in his marriage.  She told him to do “what makes him happy”.  That is some messed up advise!!!  He went on to get a divorce and has been chasing happiness ever since.

In Cheryl Crows song she sings, “If it makes you happy, it can’t be that bad.  If it makes you happy, then why are you so sad?”

I love the saying, “The secret to happiness is not having what you want it’s wanting what you have.”   Bottom line happiness is fleeting.  It’s a feeling that can come and go depending on the weather, coffee, chocolate and other peoples actions or lack there of.  Joy, that’s where it at!!  Joy comes from the Lord.  I feel His joy daily when I remember He loves me.  His love for me inspires me to love Him back.  I do this by grounding myself in His word and doing my best to walk the walk, even when it doesn’t feel happy.  Part of living in the joy of the Lord is doing His work.  Work isn’t fleeting happiness, but in it, I feel His joy.  Here at the lake, by myself it doesn't feel like I am doing His work.

Mainly His joy is a free gift; through the work He did on the Cross-for you and me.  I am sure that it wasn’t a happy thing He did on the cross.  Yet, because of it, we can all have ever lasting joy.   Its not our work but His completed work that brings us joy.

Today, be happy!  Accept the Joy he died to give you.  Be inspired to muster up the courage to do what’s right, if it makes you happy or not.  Live in His joy. 

John 10:10 “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy;  I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.”

Be fit and be blessed,

Kimberly




No comments:

Post a Comment