Thursday, May 31, 2012

Fit Bit (power of prayer)


Fit Bit  (power of prayer)
Question:  My parents live a very unhealthy lifestyle.  My Dad has been told he will die if he doesn’t quit drinking and smoking.  My Mother has been told to quit drinking by her doctor too.  I live a healthy lifestyle.  What can I do to help them?  When I try to tell them to quit, they seem to pull away from me.  I want my parents to live. They say they believe in God, but they don’t act like it.   Please help.

ANNswer:  I feel your pain.  Addiction is a powerful problem.  It seems easy on the sidelines…quit drinking.  If it were that easy we wouldn’t have a multimillion-dollar industry battling alcoholism.   I know first hand the power of addiction.  I spent 20 years attempting to quit drinking.  Finally, I have been freed.  As I understand it only 10% of alcoholics can maintain sobriety.  Your parents are part of the 90% as of now.  You can try an intervention with a professional alcohol counselor.  It may or may not work.  When people are in the middle of addiction their heart is messed up.   You can help them understand, Jesus loves them and wants them to have a good life.  You can lead them in a salvation prayer. Help them get reconnected in Church.  They can turn their lives to Jesus and He can change their hearts.    Yet, if they do not want help you cannot force it.  My advice is to love them as they are. Remind them how much God loves them. Try to get them professional help.  If they won’t take it, just love them the best you can, through the strength you have with Jesus.  Pray for them. Sometimes are prayers do not seem answered, God is always answering.  There is power in prayer.

John 10:10  “ The thief does not come except to kill steal and destroy, I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.”

Ephesians 6:18  “ praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints.”

Be fit and be blessed,

Kimberly




No comments:

Post a Comment