Thursday, March 9, 2023

His strength not ours

A friend of mine gave a very wonderful response to yesterdays message and I really wanted to share it, here it is.  "It’s Biblically incorrect and even insensitive when people say “God won’t give you more than you can handle.” He obviously gave Paul way more than HE could handle so he would rely on God and not himself.      

I think people say that pithy saying “God won’t give you more than you can handle…” b/c they confuse it with 1Corinthians 10:12-13, which talks about temptation. “He will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear.” But in 2Cor 1:8-9 it’s obvious we are put in hardships and life-threatening situations beyond our human ability to cope so we will turn to God. His strength is sufficient and Christ strengthens us when we are weak. 

A guest pastor preached at our church once and he was the one who pointed this out to us. He has a handicapped child and many times caring for that child is beyond what he can do and he said “if I see one more bumper sticker that says ‘God won’t give you more than you can handle’, I’m going to rip it off myself!”    I think my friends words are spot on. One of my favorite sayings is"God doesn't give us what we can handle He helps us handle what we've been given."     Romans  8:15 " For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave to fear, but you received the Spirit of son-ship.  And by Him we cry, Abba, Father."   We need not fear, we simply need to cry out , Abba Father!!   Gods got this!!!!    His strength is made perfect in our weakness!!!  There is nothing too big for God!!!       I also like the saying, " Don't tell God you've got a big problem, tell your problem you've got a big God!!"

Gods got this!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment