Sunday, July 8, 2012

Fit Bit (I've changed)


Fit Bit (I’ve changed)
Dear Kimberly,
I’ve changed; I used to be a drunk.  I did many stupid things during those years.  I’ve been sober for a few months now.  My children keep telling me about my bad behaviors.  Every time they do it hurts.  How do I get them to stop bringing up the past?

Sincerely,
I’ve changed

Dear I’ve changed,

Congratulations!!!!  Quitting drinking is a huge deal!!!  What a wonderful thing you have done for yourself, your family and God.  Great Job!!!!  Keep up the good work.  Alcoholism is a very powerful disease; make sure you have a good support system in your sobriety.  (Feel free to contact me any time and I will share with you my personal testimony)

You have been sober for a couple months, that is wonderful.  It takes time for the people around you to trust you are different.   Keep on keeping on, regardless of what they say.  In alcoholism, we drunks hurt the people around us.  We create a mess wherever we go and not notice the damage we’ve done.  We are like the eye of the tornado, sluing crap over everyone.  When we get clean, we want everyone to forgive and trust us, which takes time. Your children will trust you again and stop ring up the past, as time goes on, they have been hurt.  Meanwhile, when they bring up the past tell them,
 “Yes, I did that, but that was the old me.  I am a new creation in Jesus Christ.  I’ve been forgiven, through Jesus Christ.  I would like it if you forgive me too. Please, let’s leave the past in the past.  That is not who I am today.  I’m sorry for that but that is not who I am today.”
 When you say this believe it.  You are a new creation in Christ.  Keep walking the walk; your family, friends and co-workers will all see in time the beautiful new creature you are.

2 Corinthians 5: 17  “Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature;  old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.”

Be fit and be blessed,

Kimberly


  

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kimberly,
    This was great wisdom; while I did not have any habits such as "Changed" described, I made some mistakes while raising my children, and they used to frequently remind me of how I hurt them emotionally. Someone gave me the same counsel - when they bring up the subject, to tell my children I am sorry, that I was wrong, and please forgive me. This went a long way in healing our relationship. Of course, now that they are raising their own children, they understand the frustrations of parenting. Thanks for sending these e-mails - I appreciate you so much!

    ReplyDelete