Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Fit Bit (questioning AA)


Fit Bit (questioning AA)
Dear Kimberly,

     In an article you had in Christian News dated Oct. 2012, you told people to join AA, as a possible help for their alcoholism.  I disagree with you.  I find that they always confess, “ I am an alcoholic” I think that keeps people sick.  Please be careful with your recommendations.

Sincerely,

Questioning AA

Dear Questioning,

   In recovery it’s important to confess our faith, concentrate on what is good and working, not the past and the pain.   Jesus died that we may be freed from the pain and live in His promise.   When we confess with our mouth over and over again what is wrong we internalize it.  I do not introduce myself to people an alcoholic unless it can help them.  In AA people introduce themselves according to their disease to help others in the room, understand where they have been and what their battle is.  I have heard people introduce themselves as “ grateful recovering alcoholics” I like that introduction better. 

  AA doesn’t work for everybody, but it can be good place to start.  There are AA meetings all over the country and the common goal is to quit drinking.   I found help in AA.

  Personally, I did not have success with AA alone.  I needed to and continually need to focus on Jesus Christ, what He has done for me, how beautiful He has made me, regardless of my past.  This truth is what keeps me well.  I stay well by living in His promises and giving Him my past and my pain.  Every day I confess with my mouth, “ Thank you Lord for making me your beautiful child.  Please help me be a blessing to you and others today.”

John 10:10  “ The thief cometh not but for to steal, and to kill and to destroy; I am come that they may have life, and that they might have it more abundantly


Be fit and be blessed,

Kimberly

PS.  You may want to find a Christian recovery group in your area



No comments:

Post a Comment